"Find all the latest in Apple AirPlay devices, where to get them, and guides on how to get the most from Apple AirPlay"

Thursday, November 10, 2011

iPhone 4S has issues with Airplay speakers

If you own an iPhone 4S and an Airplay compatible speaker/sound system, then there is a chance that you have experience a drop in the audio stream, as iLounge is reporting that an Airplay speaker developer has confirmed issues with streaming from the new iPhone 4S.

Libratone, the manufacturer of the iconic Libratone Live & Lounge Airplay speakers, are writing the following on their troubleshooting page.
"Users of the new Apple iPhone 4S may experience both short and prolonged AirPlay audio drop-outs from time to time, and this issue seems to be occurring on all AirPlay-enabled speakers (from Libratone and other vendors alike). We are working actively with Apple and other speaker manufacturers to resolve this issue and will update our FAQ when we know if the solution is related to the iPhone 4S and/or the firmware for our Libratone speakers. In the meantime we urge you to use other iDevices or a Mac/PC to stream music to our speakers."
 Now it is not unusual that there can be occassional drop-outs in audio stream between an iOS device and an Airplay speaker, but the issue seems to be consistent and severe when it comes to the iPhone 4S. As always there has been no public announcement about this from Apple, but according to this article Apple is working with Airplay speaker developers in finding out the cause of this problem.

Are you an iPhone 4S owner and have experienced issues with audio drop-outs or other streaming problems with an Airplay device? Then please leave a comment below and share your experience with the wider world.

6 comments:

  1. I've experienced this. Friday night there were random dropouts in the airplay sound stream and today (Sunday) my modem went down and I had to restart. I use a Marantz MCR-603 receiver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having these problems as well - everything works fine from other devices, but the 4s is very unstable. There is a long thread about this in Apples support-community - all 4s-owners using AirPlay seems to have problems :-(

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3413370?tstart=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem iPod and iPad work great but 4s has major issues :0(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been having lots of problems with my B&W Zeppelin speakers and the 4s. Onto my third set of speakers as Apple say it's a problem with them rather than the phone. B&W think differently though which leaves me in limb with a rather expensive iPhone dock!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will find it is a general networking issue as I have just had 2 4s' replaced suffering from continual network drop out and an inability to reconnect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 4s a 4 & two Ipad2's - I have the same drop-out problems on all devices. to be fair it's not unworkable, but its not the audio experience I expect for my buck. I find it worse when the network gets busy.

    ReplyDelete